1. Remove Yourself From Routine
Even if that means doing something so small that is our of your ordinary. If you work, buy yourself an ice cream on your lunch break or take a few minutes to read your favorite book in your car. If you stay-at-home, go for a walk or learn how to make that recipe you've been pinning for the past 6 months. For me, when I was working, I decided to walk to work. Luckily, I was only a few minutes from work but it gave me time to collect my thoughts and prepare myself for the day. The fresh air was also nice. Walks have become one of my favorite things. Even now at home, I enjoy taking the boys for a walk around the neighborhood. We point out birds, dogs, different types of leaves, and appreciate the little things in our neighborhood that we don't have time to notice otherwise. It is the best time to talk to them about things they would normally feel lectured about, however, removing them from their normal environment makes it feel less like a chore. I usually take the opportunity to talk to them about the importance of manners or staying tidy. We discuss it like a casual conversation, they soak it in better knowing they aren't pressured and not having anyone wag a finger in their face. We also take random trips to a store to "just look." I make it a point to let them know beforehand "We are just going in to check out what this store has, but we aren't buying anything today." And we will head to the toys and they go to each one to test it out. And I take this opportunity to see what their interests are. What type of toys they're leaning towards, which helps around the holidays. Just because you stay-at-home does not mean you are limited to the walls of your house. Lately, at nap time, I have really enjoyed reading on my front porch. Even though it is Summer and hotter than the devil's kitchen outside, I have actually taken a small fan with me and have been able to get through a couple of chapters.
2. You Want It, Buy It.
This one took me a while to get used to. Only because, like most households, we are on a budget. You have to know what to sacrifice and how to balance it out to be able to get what you want without feeling guilty for it. I was the world's worst at saying "Oh, I love this!" And then pushing my shopping cart right by it. In my mind I am thinking "Well, we do have this utility bill coming up or a car insurance payment that is due... it can wait." And though this is a very responsible way to think and budget... you have to keep in mind that sometimes you just deserve it. Whether we are stay at home or working, we all have a job and we all work hard. Sometimes, we deserve to pick up something pretty in a store and say "I'm going to buy this today." Now I do mean to keep these things in reason, please don't go buy a new car and get me in trouble! But if there is a nice blouse or shoes or a new candle that you want and it doesn't jeopardize anything else -- get it. And this doesn't go for just moms. I tell my husband the same thing. Now, within our budget, we can't just go shopping for things on the regular but sometimes, we will go in a store with a set amount and he will get what he can for himself and then on our next trip out I can do the same. We always discuss it with one another beforehand, not because we have to, but because its courteous to keep your spouse involved. And if it is something bigger that you want, you can always buy a little at a time. We want to completely makeover our fireplace with some tile, and to keep from going in and dropping a huge amount at once, we pick up things here and there. It doesn't affect us as much financially and it is exciting to know that we will eventually have it finished without it taking a huge chunk of change. 3. Give Fast Food A Break
I am not huge on fast food in general, but I do have a weak spot for a good chicken sandwich. Whether it is Wendy's or Chick-fil-a, I get way too excited over spicy poultry and a large lemonade. When we get busy or our work hours start to get a little crazy, its just easier to "grab something on the way home." Little do you know the affect that fast food can have on you. I can always tell when we are eating out a lot, I start to feel sluggish after meals. I feel too full. I tend to always make myself try to finish everything because fast food is higher than average groceries and I don't want it to go to waste. And speaking of money, it is so easy to lose track of it when you are buying out. Especially for a family of four. Our worst days to eat out are weekends. After a long work week sometimes you just don't feel like it -- and that's okay! But try to manage it wisely. Think about it. Each time we go to grab something to eat, it usually costs us anywhere for $20-30 dollars each meal. At three meals a day that is anywhere from $60.00 to $90.00!! DO YOU KNOW WHAT I COULD BUY AT TARGET WITH 90.00?! Um, maybe that gold tripod lamp I have been wanting forever and still have leftovers to grab a Strawberry and Cream frapp at Starbucks on the way out! *deep breaths* So, yes, fast food can certainly be convenient, but as mentioned in the previous paragraph, manage your money wisely and then you can actually treat yourself to something you really want. Something that will last longer and not make you feel bloated! And cooking is also something that you and your spouse can do together! Look up some Pinterest recipes on a budget and try a different one each night. And if you prefer to cook alone, put in some earbuds and enjoy some you time. Can't go wrong with music and food!4. Disconnect Yourself From WiFi.
Don't run. Bare with me. Most of our stress and worries come from scrolling through our newsfeed. Let's be honest.. we all see that mom that just looks like she is doing it better than you, the one that finds time to work out and manage to get out of yoga pants and fix her hair for the day. There is the couple with the perfect relationship. And then there is the one that appears to have all of these nice things and seems to pull money from their butt. Let me let you in on a little secret: No one is perfect. And we don't normally share the unhappy moments that get us from one of those smiling selfies to the other. Go ahead and get out of the mindset that someone out there has a better life than you. We all are given different opportunities and different struggles. Some are just better at hiding them than others. This is why I suggest logging off for a while. Take an afternoon and just don't look at any social media. Write in a journal, share feelings that you can't post on Facebook. Try a new hobby. As hard as it is to believe, the world doesn't revolve around social media.5. Don't Forget About Your Friends
You would be amazed at how much better you feel after talking to an old friend. This has been one of my favorite transitions I have made recently. I have made time for my friends. Obviously, with a busy schedule it is hard to make time... but you have to do exactly that. Make time. I am lucky enough to have friends with kids, so we can always get them together for play dates and then we can sit back and talk about old times. But every once in a while you need time for just girl talk. This is what actually pushed me to create a mom group. We have so much fun together, discussing mistakes and mishaps, the ups and downs of motherhood and the hilarious experiences we've had. It is always something that we can all relate to. This has made its biggest impact on me. I have found a few hours every other week to go to dinner with my girls. To talk about what is going on in our lives and laugh. As moms, and as women, we deserve to get out of the routine (even if only for a couple of hours) and enjoy ourselves. It was difficult for me to come out of my comfort zone, because I always felt so guilty leaving the kids, but I knew that this was something I needed for me. And being a happier mom would make a positive impact on their lives as well. So, call that old friend you've been saying you'd go to lunch with for months, or the new friend that you seem to share interests with on social media. We are all human and we all just want to find people to surround ourselves with that make us happy. It is not as hard as you think.I hope you enjoyed this blog and I hope you take it to heart. Take care of yourself. Stay happy. Stay healthy.

❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️
ReplyDelete