Wednesday, July 6, 2016

starting from scratch.

When we first bought our house, which was a little over 2 years ago, *tear* I wanted to go with a very simple design element. I chose a lot of light grays and whites. At first it was easy on the eyes, very quaint and pleasant, but now it bores me. I've avoided my living room for days because every time I am there -- I get the makeover itch. It doesn't make it better that I am seriously addicted to HGTV's Fixer Upper and I am 98% sure Joanna Gaines is my spirit animal. I am not crazy about the farmhouse look, I have never been drawn to that style. However, I will say that I admire the way her homes flow and I took that into consideration when I started planning my living room makeover against my husband's will. 

I will start from the beginning. This is the living room when we first bought the home. Minus the furniture. 

Now as I am sure you other moms can relate -- walking into a room SO white makes you a little nervous when you have two toddlers, but it did give us a pretty blank canvas to work with. I can't say that for the other room in the house that had wood panelled walls and maroon carpet... but we will save that for another time! 

First thing we did was start ripping up carpet. The fact that there were hardwoods underneath, that were still in great condition, did something to my soul. Not only have I been a hardwood fan for pretty much forever, having a husband and child with severe allergies makes it very difficult to keep carpet around. We knew it had to be the first to go. 



How awesome is that hardwood?! And this was JUST my husband and I cleaning them up with soap and water, and putting on a protective coating that made them shine! In this photo the condition actually looks a lot better than what it actually was. Being first time homeowners on a budget, we were satisfied with this at the time. We did have spots (by the doorways) that were really dark and damaged so we have had the floors professionally done after horrible attempts to sand and stain them ourselves. We just won't even go there. Needless to say, after a few hours we were pricing the pros! 


We ordered our furniture not long after and I was happy with the way everything looked. It seemed cozy. Keep in mind, this photo was taken about 2 years ago -- so the furniture has survived sippy cups, front flips, sleepovers, hide and seek -- and they are barely hanging on. Two of the buttons have given up on us and the rug has seen better days. Now that my boys are a little older and have somehow learned how to sit on furniture appropriately, it is time for an update! 

Which brings me to a few nights ago, we were on the couch  and I said "Wouldn't it be nice if we could just start over? Just clear this room out and repaint with new furniture and just refresh everything?" And then my clever, clever husband replies, "Why can't we?" Those three words were all I needed! Today, I have some potential buyers coming to hopefully take the furniture off my hands... we plan to roll up that old rug and just start over! I played it safe the first time with very bland colors but this time I need something that suits us a little more. We are far from a bland family. 

I have been looking over paint colors, channeling my inner Joanna and keeping in mind that we are still on a budget! So, this project will not be an over-nighter! I am taking my time on this one because this is the style that I want to stay until we decide to sell this house. Right now I am IN LOVE with Delft by Sherwin Williams but I am giving myself time to explore the options and trying to find furniture that would accent it. 


I am so excited about this project and I am psyched that I can share it. Check back to see what progress we are making. Hopefully some videos to come soon!









1 comment:

  1. Although hesitant, I am really excited about the transformation! Maybe "knock out a wall and add some French doors to really open up the space"

    ReplyDelete